Friday, December 11, 2009

SLEEP DEPRIVATION PERSIMMON SALAD

Dash and I have been having it out every night about sleep. He just doesn't want to go to bed. Ever again. But during the day we have been cooking together and sharing peaceful lunches. I yawn my way through lunch while Dash looks concerned and asks, "You tired again, momma?" Oh Dash. You have no idea.

Every December people give me persimmons. Most years I place them in a bowl and admire them from a distance. And then they rot and I feel bad. In the past I've only had hachiya persimmons which are very bitter unless completely ripe. Hachiyas are good for puddings, cakes and purées. This year four people have given me fuyus. Fuyus can be eaten crisp like apples.

Dash and I made fuyu persimmon salad over and over again this past week.

We coat the persimmon slices with lemon, salt and olive oil. Then we start sprinkling on the goodies.

Dash and I giggle and eat the salad with our fingers. 
He rolls the thinly sliced persimmon around the pomegranate, goat cheese, pine nuts, and parsley. "Like a burrito," he says.
Dash loves how the pomegranate seeds pop in his mouth. I love how the warm pine nuts melt the goat cheese. And I love that we're sitting still for 20 minutes. No one is climbing out a window. No one is screaming about bedtime. No one is telling me I'm mean. No eyes needed on the back of my head. We scoop up the final scraps with our buttered bread. Lunch is over. And I release Dash from his chair.



PERSIMMON SALAD
These amounts are approximate. The persimmon slices absorb a lot of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. I like lots of goat cheese. But you might just want a little bit. Or you could do parmesan instead. No matter what use lots of pomegranate and parsley.
printable recipe

Feeds 2.

2 fuyu persimmons
1 lemon
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 big pinches of salt
seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
4 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
2 big handfuls of warm toasted pine nuts
chopped parsley

Thinly slice the persimmons (as thin as a piece of paper) with a serrated knife or a mandoline. Spread the slices out on a big platter, overlapping them a bit. Squeeze the lemon all over the persimmon slices. Let it absorb. Squeeze a little more. Drizzle over the olive oil.  Season generously with the salt. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds, warm pine nuts, goat cheese, and parsley all over. Serve with bread.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog with incredible pictures and recipes. I have signed up for your newsletter as I look forward to hearing more about your adventures with dash and bella.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Pam
    www.sleepsense.net/kelowna

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, pam. looks like i could learn a thing or two from your site about kids and sleeping. i'll check it out.
    phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came from a potluck where someone brought this salad. It was a huge hit. I can't wait to make it myself. I actually overheard another guest say, "Who brought that salad? I have a crush on it!" Thanks for sharing a great idea. Who knew I liked persimmons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't get persimmons anywhere here, however i'm dying to try this salad. any ideas for a substitution?

    ReplyDelete
  5. apple or pear might work well. but i think you'll need the dressing to have a bit more bite with sweet fruit. make sure to add some garlic and dijon to the lemon juice before sprinkling it on the fruit. also, all of these flavors (pomegranate, pine nut, etc) work well with hearts of romaine or butter lettuce. it's a very different salad but just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey phyllis,

    i'm the one who made the salad for the potluck where someone had "a crush on it". Sachi loved extracting the pomegranate seeds and Cyrus loved licking the goat cheese off his fingers at the end.

    success again--keep the great recipes coming! -jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phyllis,

    I have enjoyed all your posts and the wonderful pictures of the food and the kids. I am getting ready to try the persimmon salad. I plan to try others also. I have to think, plan and then execute. Build up to it. This is a great blog. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy reading you blog, maybe because we have something in common, I have a toddler who is now 3 and 1/2 years old and who doesn't like going to bed.

    ReplyDelete