Friday, May 4, 2012

DIASTASIS

I agitate the custard and yell at my husband
though I don't even remember what I'm spazzing about
since it's the fight we've had for 23 years
so familiar it's built into our limbs and mouths
and then the custard fucking curdles and 
just so you know
my custard never fucking curdles
and I kick everyone out of the kitchen.

I put a hand on my belly
pinky on my belly button
thumb all the way up and under my front lower ribs
and I quietly blame everything on this abdominal split
(caused by the pressure of my in utero Dash)
because somehow someone something
must be interfering with my ability to
do good parenting and good partnering
and good handstands.

I chop the leeks and imagine
my sides growing back together
and I wonder what makes a frittata a frittata
and not a Spanish tortilla or an omelette
and I decide I don't care
and I just start busting them out
with creme fraiche and leeks and spring onions
and so much trendy kale
that my daughter will say she's going to puke
if she even has to LOOK at it
but i think I'm onto something
so I make one more
packed with purple potatoes and asparagus.

I tuck in my shirt and secure my hair
in what one of those magazines I no longer read
would call a sexy messy bun
place my hands on the floor
imagine my hands are feet
spread my fingers wide
but not too wide
empty my mind
exhale bend my knees
inhale float my legs up up up
until my toes point to the ceiling my two legs as one
and I focus
on weaving knitting soldering my abdominals back together
because that's what will make me a nicer
wife mother yogi cook friend lover person
and then I'm floating for the first time ever
on my hands
for more than one round of breath
with this crazy ass intention of bringing everything
back into my center
and crash
I'm down again.

I yell everyone back into the kitchen
away from Legos and wrestling and The Hunger Games
and a surprising amount of the crispy bubbling feta-topped egg cake
gets into their little bellies
so they earn their curdled custard ice cream
and then I set them free.

Glued to my seat and my wine
I manage to
look my husband in the eye and
I listen
roll my eyes
sigh
hold my breath
shiver
smile
as he tells me 
yes you're hormonal yes you're insane yes
you make me want to move to Los Angeles
permanently away from you
and I will take the kids and oh yes
you have a nice ass
and yes that was the best frittata I've ever had.

ASPARAGUS AND POTATO FRITTATA
serves 4-6

(My friend Erin and I have been chatting about frittatas. She can't stop making them either. She has been putting feta on top of hers. Genius. Now I am too. Check out her beautiful blog Yummy Supper. And she should have a frittata post up soon.)

You can pretty much throw anything into a frittata. Any cheese. Any (pre-cooked) vegetables or meat: peppers, cauliflower, sliced sausage, chopped crispy bacon, strips of cooked chicken breast. It's a great empty-out-the-fridge one-pot meal.  It can be beautiful to look at. It can also be funky and very green and super funny messy looking. In my opinion, it must have at least a few of the following toppings: sriracha, ketchup, chopped chives, avocado slices, lime, sour cream.

This recipe calls for potatoes and asparagus. But you can just as easily add finely chopped kale (or any combo of greens like chard, arugula, spinach) into the onions instead of the asparagus. Or add it along with the asparagus, though that would be a bit heavy on the greens (I love this, my kids do not).

It's best eaten right away. But you can also serve it room temperature. Or heat it up the next day.

ingredients
for the vegetables:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon butter
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 large leeks, cleaned, trimmed of tough green part, thinly sliced
big pinch salt
pepper
10 small potatoes cooked in salty water until tender and then halved (purple or yukon gold work well)
8 spears asparagus, trimmed, quickly cooked in salty water but still crisp, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 clove garlic, grated, chopped, or pressed
2 teaspoons lemon zest.

for the eggs:
12 eggs
3/4 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream
3/4 grated firm or semi-firm cheese (any combination of parmesan, percorio, manchego, gruyere, cheddar)
big pinch salt 
pepper

for when it goes under the broiler:
1/2 cup feta cheese (or goat), crumbled
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
crunchy salt

for the toppings:
sriracha
chopped parsley and chives
avocado slices
sour cream, creme fraiche, or yoghurt (another nice option is sour cream thinned with heavy cream)

directions:
Crank a 10 inch oven-safe pan (I use cast iron) to medium heat. Add olive oil and butter. When butter is melted, add onions, leeks, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until tender and starting to brown a bit (about 20 minutes). 

While onions are cooking, vigorously whisk together eggs, creme fraiche, cheese, salt, and pepper until well-combined and foamy. Set aside.

Preheat oven to a high broil.

Turn heat up to high under onions and toss in potatoes and asparagus. Add grated garlic and lemon zest. Cook, stirring entire time, for a minute.

Give the eggs one final whisk and then pour over the vegetables. Stir until all vegetables are coated with eggs. Turn down to medium heat. Then leave it alone to start to set. You can put a lid on it. Or not. Be aware of heat going onto bottom of pan and make sure it's not too hot. The eggs don't taste so good when they get too brown.

 Once the eggs are about halfway set, take off heat and sprinkle top with feta, parmesan, and some crunchy salt. Place under the broiler and don't walk away. If if browns too quickly, place on a lower shelf in the oven. Check for doneness after a minute by poking around in the middle of the frittata with a paring knife. An undercooked frittata is nasty. Try to find that perfect moment when the very center isn't quite set because it will continue to cook a bit after you take it out of the oven. 

While it's still piping hot, slide a knife around and dislodge the sides from the pan. Use a spatula and slowly slide it under the frittata. Do this all the way around, making sure you make it all the way to the center. You can serve it in the cast iron pan. Or you can flip it out on a plate. Just make sure you serve it crispy-feta side up.

Serve with toppings (see ingredients above for ideas).

66 comments:

  1. I went through a frittata phase last year. It was a perfect way to use up the last of the CSA/Mystery Box veggies. Asparagus and bacon turned out to be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. such a great way to use up everything in the fridge. hard to go wrong.

      Delete
  2. I always look forward to your posts .. and the lovely food described is icing. As is the cursing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What A plum by any other name said...

    Thinking I might have to try your frittata recipe for dinner this weekend. And I'm intrigued by the custard ice cream. Might have to scope that out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all the ice cream recipes i have on my blog are custard-style. if you type in ice cream in the search box on my main page, you should get a bunch of results. my favorite is caramel. i have a detailed post on it.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm sorry you removed your comment. i appreciated your honesty.

      Delete
  5. frittata is a "go to" last minute dinner! my kids love it with salad and homade biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell me more about biscuits. do you have a favorite recipe? i love them so.

      Delete
  6. Keep up the good work, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. trying. thank you. cooking a lot today. in the groove. loving feeding my family more than anything in the world. love your support.

      Delete
  7. Hey frittata sister, Thanks for that nice shout-out. Your photo just above the recipe is so drool-worthy. Yum!!!
    xxxooo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frittata is my friend too. At least once a week, it helps me not only feed the family and clean out the fridge, but supplies endless blog fodder. Each frittata is new, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! and i'm finding the same to be true with tarts and soups. they are my friends too.

      Delete
  9. Yum!! Love frittata's :) I needed a new recipe to try. I've been using one, that my friend text messaged me and I have to go back and find the text message every time because I'm to lazy to write it down ;-p

    Oh and I swear, I have the same type of conversation (once a month I'd say) with my boyfriend, that you do with your husband. I swear it also start with you are crazy and end with nice ass ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't that funny? it's great to hear that other people have arguments with the same kind of rhythm. and every month. hmm. what a pain.

      Delete
    2. Once a month is an exaggeration, though with the stress of moving, its definitely felt like we go through the motions a lot more. Its never about anything important. I'm a stress kitten, he is a saint some days for putting up with me.

      Delete
  10. wow. fucking... wow. love how the combination of crazy, anger, love, and desire in the eyes of your husband brings it all back to the center at the end. or at least completes it. So beautiful. You have made me think I could cook (I can't, but it hasn't stopped me from trying your asparagus thing which I loved but didn't quite win over the non-green eaters in the house), that I can parent (well... you show up, you wield the sledgehammer of your love in the general direction of their problems and you try to catch the vomit in your shirt that's all I got as far as parenting is concerned), and if you don't watch it, miss phyllis yogi lover, you are going to make me think I can write poetry too. bitch, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amy cook. I'm brushing my teeth as i write this. not because i want to but because this way i won't drink any more red wine. it tastes funny with toothpaste. and i need some sleep. and i need to wake up and do all kinds of things. but first i just want to tell you the following;
      1. i love you
      2. this is the best comment i've ever received
      3. catching vomit is so hard and no noble and so necessary
      4. i could read your writing all day so bring it on for me and for others because we're ready
      5. namafuckingste
      6. biatch

      Delete
  11. Fuck the food. I'm here for your writing. Delish. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too. And I arrive late at this party through my friend Janet at http://raisinporpoise.blogspot.com/2012_06_01_archive.html.

    I love this writing. I am hosting a blog series on mothering and creativity and I would love to have you there. This post would be brilliant. Let me know. Otherwise, expect to see me around here flexing my abs and hoping for the best. xo Suzi

    www.outofthemouthsofbabes.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys seriously crack me up with your posts. Phyllis, I love love love your writing. Thanks for entertaining me and also thanks for creme freishe (an ingredient that is now a "staple" in my kitchen. I'm inspired to make my own now and to use it over and over and over again. I will eventually not be anonymous but I can't get this dammnn thing set up to create a profile. I think I might call our IT guy. Obviously I am not computer savy.

    ReplyDelete



  14. شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة


    نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة


    نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة نقل اثاث


    نقل اثاث بالمدينه المنوره


    نقل الاثاث بالمدينة المنورة


    نقل عفش بالمدينه المنوره


    نقل عفش المدينة المنورة


    شركة نقل عفش المدينة المنورة


    افضل شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة


    تركيب غرف نوم بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تسليك مجارى بالمدينة المنورة


    كشف تسربات المياه بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة


    تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة غسيل شقق بالمدينة المنورة


    غسيل شقق بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة


    تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف فلل بالمدينة المنورة


    غسيل فلل بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف بالمدينه المنوره


    غسيل كنب بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف كنب بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف مجالس


    تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة عزل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة مكافحة الحشرات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة رش مبيدات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة كشف تسربات المياه


    شركة مكافحة حشرات


    شركة عزل اسطح




    ReplyDelete



  15. شركة عزل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة عزل اسطح


    كشف تسربات المياه بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة كشف تسربات المياه


    شركة تسليك مجارى بالمدينة المنورة


    تركيب غرف نوم بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة نقل عفش المدينة المنورة


    افضل شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة


    نقل عفش المدينة المنورة


    نقل عفش بالمدينه المنوره


    نقل الاثاث بالمدينة المنورة


    نقل اثاث بالمدينه المنوره


    شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة


    نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة


    نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة رش مبيدات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة مكافحة الحشرات بالمدينة المنورة


    مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة مكافحة حشرات


    تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف مجالس


    شركة تنظيف كنب بالمدينة المنورة


    غسيل كنب بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف بالمدينه المنوره


    شركة تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف فلل بالمدينة المنورة


    غسيل فلل بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة


    تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة


    تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة


    غسيل شقق بالمدينة المنورة


    شركة تنظيف شقق


    غسيل شقق بالمدينه المنوره


    ReplyDelete
  16. It is such a privilege to find this kind of a post, its among the many pages that i have visited and surely found what i needed. I can say that your post is excellent, and without a doubt very informative. Kindly keep on sharing quality information.
    Online jobs & projects

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, nice article. The writer is very creative and imaginative. I have enjoyed reading the article in addition to learning how to cook the shared meal. I will be trying out the recipe this weekend. Thanks so much for sharing with us such an interesting and intriguing article. Feel free to hire our Paid Project Reviewers if you need your blog articles to be proofread by professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do like the post, its very well written and its in an elaborate language. Your creativity and imagination makes the whole article even more amusing and interesting. It would be a great thing if you were to share more. Thanks
    Help With Proposal Editing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful Ideas, and your way's creative, really I love your style in writing and the expressions which you used in phrase, it's more correlated, i want give you an offer to write article about digital marketing and design website i know your content is different about my content, but Google say that's good for build Strong backlink: that's link for my site Mysite if you agree about my suggestion please send me or can give a reply on comment, we can co-operate together.

    ReplyDelete

  20. Really great information, I would like to share some of my website ideas. A house cleaning company in Dammam, we have strong and wonderful experience. We have been working for 10 years in the field of cleaning in Dammam and Saudi Arabia in general.Cleaning Services Company in Dammam https://alfaris-aleurbaa.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. مظلات ابها0500559613


    مظلات ابها0500559613
    مظلات قبب
    مظلات اشرعة
    مظلات اكس
    مظلات البلاستيك
    مظلات هرمي مخروطي
    مظلات سيارات وتغطيه مسابح ومدارس
    مظلات مواقف عامة و خاصة
    مظلات ملاعب رياضية و ملاعب أطفال
    تغطيه الأحواش
    مظلات حديد
    مظلات ب مقاسات و اشكال و خامات مختلفة

    مظلات ابها0500559613
    مظلات ابها0500559613
    اعمال السواتر:
    سواتر قماش بوثلين
    سواتر من الاخشاب البلاستيك
    سواتر خشبية من افضل ألواح الشنكو
    قرميد
    لكسان

    جميع اعمال الحداده
    البرجولات
    https://alakhtiarumbrellas.com/%D9%85%D8%B8%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D9%88%D8%B3%D9%88%D8%A7%D8%AA%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%AE%D8%AA%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%88%D9%84/
    ولدينا طاقم من الفنيين من ذوي الخبرات
    والكفاءآت العالية جميع اعمالنا تحت اشراف احترافي لتحقيق رضا العملاء ،

    تركيب مظلات - تركيب سواتر - تركيب مستودعات - تركيب هناجر - تركيب قرميد
    - مظلات حدائق - سواتر قماش - مظلات قصور وفلل - مظلات بلاستيك -
    - الرياض للمظلات والسواتر - مظلات القصيم - مظلات -شبوك
    مظلات ينبع - سواتر ومظلات - مظلات مدارس - مظلات جامعات - مظلات معلقة -
    مظلات الابواب
    مظلات ابها0500559613
    - مظلات مشاريع حكومية - عروض ممتازه - مظلات كابولي - مظلات الرياض - مظلات الخرج
    https://alakhtiarumbrellas.com
    - مظلات مسابح - هناجر - شبوك زراعية -
    مظلات خشب
    مظلات مشاريع خاصة
    - مظلات وسواتر مكة المكرمة - مظلات ساحات اطفال -
    مظلات ملاعب مدارس -
    مظلات ابها0500559613مركز الخليج

    مظلات ابها0500559613مركز الخليج
    برجولات خشبية للاسطح
    مظلات ابها0500559613مركز الخليج

    - مظلات لتظليل السيارات - قرميد ايطالي
    - قرميد السعودي - مستودعات الرياض - قرميد - لكزان - سواتر شينكو - مظلات الشد الإنشائي - مظلات اسطح
    مظلات ابها
    هناجر
    موقعنا الرياض -مظلات وسواتر - فروعنا - الدمام

    صور بيوت شعر

    مظلات حوش

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. شركة بسمة الدمام تقدم افضل الخدمات في مكافحة الحشرات المنزلية عزيزي العميل الحشرات بجميع انوعها فيها خطوره علي الانسان ولابود عليك بان تطلب شركة لي مكافحة الحشرات نقدم اليك جميع الحلول في مكافحة جميع الحشرات المنزلية اتطلب خدمتنا
    شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالدمام

    ReplyDelete
  24. شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض 0500091013 ارخص شركة نقل عفش – إدارة سعودية
    لدى شركات نقل اثاث وعفش بالرياض افضل عمالة الفك والتركيب والتغليف بجانب الخبرة الفائقة في هذا المجال حيث يرجع تاريخ الشركة الي سنوات من التميز والتقدم في هذا المجال مما جعلها من أفضل شركات نقل العفش في الرياض بجانب اعتمادها علي افضل المعدات والخامات المستخدمه لإتمام عملية النقل وخصوصا مرحلة التغليف والنقل.
    نقل عفش من الرياض
    نقل عفش من الرياض
    شركة نقل الاثاث بالرياض هي من افضل شركات نقل الاثاث الموجوده بالرياض
    فالشرحه لديها الاساليب والطرق التي تستطيع من خلالها تأمين افضل طرق لنقل الاثاث
    بسلامه وبسهوله
    تقدم لكم جميع الخدمات المختلفة التي تتعلق بنقل الأثاث إلى أي مكان داخل مدينة الرياض

    كما ان الشركة تعتمد على أفضل الفنيين المدربين على أعلى درجة من الكفاءة في العمل،
    ومدربييين على مواجهة الصعوبات والتحديات والعقوبات التي ممكن ان تواجهم اثناء عملية النقل
    فالمهنيين مدربيين ايضا على كيفية التعامل مع كافة انواع الاثاث والتعامل مع الفك والتركيب
    والتغليف ولدى الشركة جميع انواع المعدات الضخمه والاوناش والروافع التي تتعامل مع الاماكن المرتفعه
    واالاماكن الضيقه ولدى الشركة جميع الامكانيات في التعامل مع المنازل والفنادق والشركات
    والمكاتب فالشركة لدينا تعمل على تطوير ذاتها دائما من اجل ارضاء عملائها
    تخزين عفش بالرياض
    تخزين عفش بالرياض
    لدينا افضل الطرق والتقنيات في تخزين الاثاث لاطول فترة دون المساس به او اتلافه
    و نقوم بتغليف الاثاثذلك باستخدام أفضل أنواع مواد التغليف ثم نقوم بوضعه في كراتين و صناديق متينة مرقمة و ذلك حتي لا ننسي أي قطعة من قطع الأثاث ، بعد ذلك يبدأ العمال بتنزيل العفش و تحميله داخل السيارات و غالبآ يتم تنزيل العفش عن طريق الأوناش الهيدروكليكية و السلالم الكهربائية و ذلك لضيق المداخل و بعد أن يتم تحميل العفش داخل السيارات تبدأ السيارات بالتحرك و معها العمال و ذلك لتركيب العفش في المكان الجديد و يتم توصيل العفش للعميل كما كان دون خدش أو كسر فنحن نحرص تماما علي سلامة كل قطعة من العفش سواء صغيرة أو كبيرة .


    نقل اثاث بالرياض
    [URL=https://elawaeil.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D9%86%D9%82%D9%84-%D8%A3%D8%AB%D8%A7%D8%AB-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%B6-%D8%B9%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A9-%D9%81%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%8A%D9%86%D9%8A%D8%A9/]نقل اثاث بالرياض[/URL]

    ReplyDelete