Tuesday, June 5, 2012

BLISS

(Crème fraiche "recipe" #2 is at the bottom of this post.)

Before 6 a.m. this morning, before rooting around in the pantry and snacking on old cookies, before getting into the Super Glue, before deserving a smack upside the head from Bella, before spilling a sticky orange juice concoction all over the table and down the wall, Dash set out a beautiful breakfast for all of us made up of banana bread and a sprinkling of his almond praline. It is Dash's praline because he helped me with every step when we made it last week. 

(WARNING: Please make sure that you and your children are wearing clothes when you make praline. There's no denying that Dash was shirtless throughout most of the process. I was a fucking idiot. But oh my god we had so much fun.)

To start, he measured the sugar, dug out the dried vanilla beans, and sucked on the sweet woodsy sticks. 
We poured a splash of water on the sugar and placed the pan on the back burner. I snapped at him to stop jumping up and down and slamming into me and focus or leave because cooking sugar is serious business in fact it's the hottest thing in the world dude hotter even than lava and he got it and settled on a stool. He watched me watch the sugar turn brown, he leaned in as I inhaled the telltale caramel fumes, and he smiled as I exhaled with delight and satisfaction because he knows that heat hitting sugar is my kind of magic.

With his hand on my wrist, we stirred in the almonds, vanilla, and salt. Then we quickly spread the sticky and rapidly firming mixture onto a sheet pan. Once it was cool enough to handle, he was in hog heaven for an hour with the ultimate edible toy.

He stretched the sugar into a sword and then a gun.
He held up a stained glass window of praline.
 
He pieced together the capital letter "T." Or maybe a mushroom?
 He bashed the shit out of it with a rolling pin and then a meat mallet.
And he placed it in a pretty jar. Then he looked at his very precise spy watch and said that it was a good thing that the praline was done because it was already 4 p.m. at LAX.
Ideas for what to do with praline once you've made it:
1. Sprinkle over crepes filled with homemade chocolate butter (recipes coming soon).
2. Serve over ice cream or yoghurt.
3. Incorporate into ice cream base at the end of the churning process.
4. Make the best after-school snack ever by dipping strawberries into crème fraiche and then rolling them in almond praline.


ALMOND PRALINE

ingredients:
2 cups white sugar (or vanilla sugar* if you have it)
about 1/2 cup water
1.5 cups sliced almonds
2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

directions:
Place sugar in a medium-sized saucepan. Add just enough water to soak the sugar. Swirl (by the pot handle) until all the sugar is wet. Add more water if you need to. Place over medium heat. Don't walk away. Swirl around (by the pot handle) if it's not caramelizing evenly. Cook until it's almost at desired color (Grade B maple syrup or darker).

Remove from heat and quickly stir in nuts, vanilla extract, and salt. Place back on heat just to loosen it up a bit. Spread quickly over a sheet pan using a firm spatula. Let cool. Then bust apart with a rolling pin or meat mallet. This is quite easy if you cover the praline with a dishtowel. Or you can cut it into large chunks with a very sharp knife. Or place all of it in the food processor and puree the heck out of it into a powder. Store at room temperature in an airtight container. If it firms up again you can bash it apart. It lasts for a long time. And it freezes beautifully.

*Place new or scraped vanilla beans into white sugar and allow to infuse for a few days.

13 comments:

  1. My teens would love this (tops on!) and it's something we could all do in the kitchen together - specially like the stained glass window pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. he earned it by staying in his bed 5 nights in a row. we're desperate around here.

      Delete
  3. OMG! I remember when my now 43 year old son was Dash's age. I'd find him in the kitchen with his chin barely over the top of the stove, preparing his favorite breakfast of "French toast." Scary! Now he's the main chef in his family, and a fabulous cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, this is so cute!!! Loved the post, and all that creative work of sugar. I'm still smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I eventually finish school and settle down I want a boy just like him!!! He is impossibly cute! I am forever grateful to my parents for cooking with me from a young age, it created a very special bond. You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three things:
    1) I love the way you write.
    2) Chocolate butter? OMG, I'm counting to days to that recipe...
    3) Regarding vanilla sugar - does it go bad? Like, if I put a scraped vanilla pod into a jar of sugar oh, say, last December while making Christmas cookies, and promptly forgot about its existence until just now, is it still useable?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. thank you!
    2. hell yes. chocolate butter. way good. recipe, next week?
    3. vanilla sugar doesn't go bad as long as no foreign objects enter the jar (besides the clean vanilla bean). but to be safe smell it. taste it. i've had some vanilla tucked in some sugar for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this! I have high aspirations concerning cooking and baking and bookmark dozens of recipes a day, but...
    I am generally wary of anything that involves precise timing or fire or high heat or flipping things. But I'm working on it.
    Anyway, I made Brazil nut pralines just now and they are perfect and I am so happy that I have an insanely easy recipe for sugar cravings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so great! thanks for letting me know. makes me really happy.

      Delete
  9. Are you in bad need of love spell to bring back your ex lover or reunite your marriage? contact Dr Sam for fast 48 hours solution. I had a problem with my husband a year and six months ago, which lead us apart. When he broke up with me, I was confuse and did not know what to do to get him back, I felt so empty inside. Until i came across Dr Sam on the internet on how He has helped so many people solve there various problem. I emailed Him and I told Him my problem and i did what he asked me to do for him to help me, to briefly make the long story short, Before I knew it, in less than 48 HOURS, my Husband gave me a call and he came back to me and told me he was sorry about what was going on between the both of us. Finally I am writing this testimony to offer my thanks and deep gratitude to you Dr Sam for keeping to your words and your promises in bringing him back to me in just 48 hours of your powerful spell casting, and for using your gifted and great powers to bring him back. If you need his help, you can email him at ( okokakspellhome@gmail.com ) or add Dr Sam on WhatsApp ( +2349060421250) or call him get all your problems solve No problem is too big for him to solve..Contact him now THANKS TO Dr Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was anticipated people multi-ply acre sellers eventually would (Ray Ban Outlet Store) normally most of go away and as (Yeezy Boost 350 Cheap) a consequence get an individuals disaparate concrete storing quite a lot to brilliant, Frenchy bit facilities on leaded mirror windows and even geraniums for sill. But we all determined might actually purchase fill up very low priced in a massive box. (Cheap Yeezys For Sale) Tr bien.

    These are not but extortion tied abductions. Today a market. The (Cheap Yeezy Shoes Sale) genuine connected with accidents not necessarily declared to the authorities or possibly personnel exactly simillar to the municipal security profit. (New Jordan Releases 2020) That they're sinful. Every favs have the orange (Ray Ban New Wayfarer Polarized) food, The candy food and toughness (Coach Outlet Clearance Sale) white (New Yeezys 2020) with the french topping. Remember, though, there's lots of methods out there.

    Complete collections post brands(Staff) 7. MVP ribbons 8. Cy new cash incentives

    ReplyDelete