Monday, April 20, 2015

GOOD MORNING

My daughter slowly scoops out her vanilla yogurt, crowning the surface with raspberries, scattering it all with granola, stepping back, enjoying her stellar plating. With his own breakfast bowl, my son follows her every decorative move. They are moving so slowly I could scream. 
It is 7:45 A.M. We need to leave the house by 8 A.M. Do the toothbrushing, library-book-finding, math. It’s an impossible situation.
Add this to the fifteen minute mix: 
One towering pile of dishes from the previous night’s garlicky pasta dinner.
One missing lunch box.
One broken toilet.
Two rotten cucumbers.
One questionable red pepper.
One daughter helplessly cramming the definitions of avuncular, taut, and assailant into her brain.
One son yelling you never stop micromanaging, mom, and it stresses me out.
One broken water glass.
One chunk of glass in now crying (still yelling) son’s foot, requiring tweezers, vodka (we’re out of rubbing alcohol), Band-Aid.
One bounce bounce splash of the milk carton.
One epic freezer adventure—searching for anything resembling breakfast, lunch, coffee—yielding every kind of gluten you can imagine: whole wheat bread, gooey cinnamon swirl challah, chocolate croissants, cheese-packed danishes, sticky buns, orange cranberry scones, bread sticks, bagels, tortillas.
But no coffee.
I don’t know how to do any of this without coffee.
I perform the open-the-fridge-and-stare move. The thing that elicits from me, on a daily basis, the Are you kidding me, Dash? Close the fridge door. You’re wasting electricity. What is wrong with you?
In my under-caffeinated state, I start to understand the little dude who lives with me. Maybe the cool air helps him wake up. Sometimes it takes a minute to find your center. You see everything. And you see nothing. It’s meditative. And then I know why I’m here. The blueberry sauce. I made it over the weekend when we had nowhere to go, nothing to do, only the potential for hours of Stratego and Laura Ingalls Wilder and sock sorting.
We were running low on maple syrup, so I covered the berries in a snowpile of sugar. I added a pinch of salt, a splash of water, some lemon zest. It all simmered for half an hour, popping, thickening, intensifying in color and flavor. We poured the steaming hot neon reduction over our buttery buttermilk waffles.
By Monday morning, the cold purple compote has thickened into a spreadable jam.
The kids add it to their bowls of yogurt. I use it for PB&Js. I dream about blueberry cheesecake. Then, I sit down and take a big sticky bite of the summery blueberry mess, bringing some Saturday morning bliss to our Monday morning shitstorm.Recipe for my Quick Blueberry Jam can be found in my Food52 column.

18 comments:

  1. This was exactly what I did when I realized on Easter morning that my mother in law was low on maple syrup. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can be glad your son can say micromanaging and use it correctly in his sentence! And my dad, an MD, used vodka to cleanse wounds at home too.
    Love the blueberry goo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope this is very tasty, I want to taste this. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rotten cumcumbers....broken glass!!!!! I think it is your favorite dish...right? funny....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a mess! But I like your crazy idea, I'm so thankful for such a "yummy" article. Keep up the good work! Sorry, I am leaving now... Can someone write my paper for me? It's very important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    It was a very nice article! Just want to say thank you for the information you have shared. Visit coursework writing service

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to read! Thanks for describing the topic in an impressive and convincing manner. Please keep on sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very much a work in progress whenever I find out about one who is more beautiful than any of these I will add her and kick out number ten Thanks for sharing the informative post http://awriter.org/ .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say that the blog have given me something that i haven't seen for a long time, a very nice recipe. I bet that the two kids must feel very lucky being close to you. You have a great talent, big up.
    apologies letter writing

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice to visit this page to get useful information
    by,
    gracy
    mom & me

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was an outstanding blog and it shows the busy morning schedules and routines of the author. It was a simple thread and it entertains the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its a very nice post. The author presents her busy morning here. When go through these passage I remember my mam's busy schedules at my child hood. The author is very dedicated.Thanks for your great post here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice posting ,i hope every one who has wish to read this blog will like this posting and will share it with his friends and families.i am happy to know that you are as hard working as Cheap dissertation writing services

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Warm good morning to all. A refreshing post post for all.I liked all the area very much. Your escription style is fantastic.Brief description give comfort for the readers.term paper writing services reviews

    ReplyDelete