Sunday, January 30, 2011

MILESTONES

I'm going to be so annoying but I have to say it. Dash and Bella are really growing up. 
Bella (creatively) loads the dishwasher with glee. She can read an entire chapter book before breakfast. She strokes my forehead when I have a headache. And she can follow a recipe from beginning to end.

Dash is "a whole three and a half." He no longer says "cimamin" (this makes me sad). He likes very stinky cheese. He slurps down anchovies like they're M&M's (this makes me cry with joy). And he has been quite busy in the kitchen ALL BY HIMSELF.

Last weekend, Dash got out of his big boy bed, ran down the hall, and started rummaging through the freezer. I could hear him grunting, and sighing, and setting out the plates for breakfast. I was lying there thinking that I could really get used to this behavior when Dash ran into my bedroom and said, "I'm making a special breakfast. I need help with the big knife." He started making a horror movie stabbing motion with his arm. "I"m having trouble separating the frozen pieces of cinnamon toast." It's true. My 9 inch Henckels chef knife is always dull. It was time for me to get off my butt and be a parent.

"And mama, where's the butter?" 

We're in love with butter around here.

 I was trained by my parents to love butter. Even in the Eighties, when it was considered evil and margarine was popping up all over, we were enjoying butter at almost every meal. Butter equals comfort. 

A few months ago I made my own butter for the first time.  I put cold heavy cream into a jar and shook it for 20 minutes straight. I almost gave up. The cream thickened and then it felt like I was shaking something solid. It felt impossible. And then I heard and felt a SPLAT in the jar that reverberated through my knees and down into my toes. I peered into the jar. No way. Butter.  I was drenched in sweat.  I added some crunchy salt and then ate the butter like it was kick ass French cheese.
I made butter a few more times with Dash and Bella. We learned some things along the way about science, magic, and determination.

Heavy cream is composed of butter fat suspended in liquid. When you shake the hell out of cream, the butter fat comes together into a lovely mound and separates from the buttermilk. This separation is the SPLAT. 

DON'T fill your jar up more than halfway with heavy cream. The cream expands as you shake it. Leave yourself some shaking room.
DON'T shake cold cream unless you really want this to be a sweaty workout. Leave it out on the counter for a few hours to come up to room temperature. You can even leave it out up to 24 hours to fester. The bacteria will munch away and produce lactic acid which will give the butter and the buttermilk a bit of a sour flavor. Dash kept looking for the bacteria bugs. He didn't see any. 
He got tired of waiting for the magic to happen. "Mama, is it the same kind of magic as when daddy downloads music and burns a CD?"
DON'T  tuck the jar of cream into the side of the the swing as a shortcut. You really do have to shake it. One splash per second. Slam the cream against the side of the jar. Like a crashing wave. This transformation takes some force, some time, and some patience. The grownups finished off the butter for Bella. Grandpa experienced the SPLAT. Bella was jealous.
DO save the buttermilk and use it to make pancakes. You can strain the butter with a coffee filter or a fine strainer. You can get fancy and rinse the butter in a bowl of ice water. Just make sure to squeeze out all the water and pat it dry. But the rinsing step is not necessary if you're eating the butter right away.  

DO buy organic heavy cream from grass fed cows. This will make butter with the best flavor. And at certain times of the year the white cream will produce a vibrant yellow butter. The yellow comes from the carotene in the grass eaten by the cows. No annatto coloring needed here.
DO use the butter or freeze it within 24 hours. Otherwise your butter will taste like really skanky cheeese. Too intense even for Dash.
PS: Bella did finally get to experience the SPLAT. It was late one night. She got this fierce look on her face and started shaking a jar of cream with a vengeance. 

"Is that the SPLAT? Did I do it? Did I?"
"Yes, my love. You strong girl. You did it." I did not cry. Not at all.

Of course you can just throw the heavy cream into a mixer and make butter in about 3 minutes. But that's too easy and your kids don't need to know that.

18 comments:

  1. Oh I had totally forgotten about this...I've gotta do this with my kids...your stories are always so heart-warming:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butter and so do both my kids...now grown. You've reminded me how good freshly made butter is. Now I need to make some

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are certainly amazing. I wish I had the energy to do these things with my little ones. We made chocolate pudding yesterday (not from scratch) and I thought it was the best thing in the world. Even if there was only one step involved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my i'm going to be so sad when Seb starts to actually pronounce words properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved this! we made it at the school with strawberries (per your suggestion) which they spread over the bread they made that morning. it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try this! I, too, was raised on butter. It's at the top of my comfort list. Loved that Bella got a splat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for posting again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your writing. And recipes. And Dash and Bella.. they make everything even more likable :)
    Hands down this butter making process is scary without a mixer, but definitely worth trying and experimenting.

    Take care,
    E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and just think about the arm muscles you are building! this is the old fashioned way to exercise. did you see the nyt article about kids and strength training? is fine for them, just as it was when they lived on farms and did all sorts of things (including churning butter) that was a form of strength training.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just found your blog and I am in love. Your kids are so lovely, and your writing and photos are beautiful! Definitely want to try making butter this way -- my little one (if you ask her how old she is, she gets this flirty little grin on her face and says "I'm almost 2") would love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow such a nice post love it

    let me know your thoughts on my new blog entry and follow me at:

    My Couture Diaries
    My Couture Diaries
    My Couture Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great. I did it with my boys also, and it was the best rainy day activity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a simple and delicious recipe!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! I agree with you saying here but it could do with more detail. They stayed away in droves.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Coach Outlet Clearance Sale) start in Finland, So i recently implemented some of the elder painting possessions these companies i did so, States. "They provided the necessities where you live. (Yeezy Boost 350 Cheap) They provided doormats for the bottom additionally (Michael Kors Outlet) bobbin wide (Ray Ban Outlet) wide lace top.

    Your (Cheap Yeezy Shoes Sale) body is a full time income matrix of energetically powered biochemical tour for (Coach Outlet Store Online) being in addition to matched up the experience through via the nervous (New Jordan Releases 2020) system. Mother nature is actually licensed due to delicate still potent electronic tour. The electric crosstalk within the Earth and in addition particularly the particular body assists in the school trillions associated with biochemical doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should also study how your child is learning to communicate. Although kids with either condition struggle to interact with others, those with autism tend to be self centered. They often have a hard time putting words to their thoughts and feelings, and they may not be able to point to an object to give meaning to their speech.

    Abortion will always be available to MK Outlet Online women who have the means to Nike Air Force 1 Cheap Outlet call their doctor privately and pay for it irregardless of what the government says. PP is for women who really don have the means to seek an abortion. They Jordan Shoes For Sale are not in a financial position to be supporting children. Ray Ban Outlet

    But he loves the person and calls them to repentance. God loves you and His Best Yeezys desire is towards you. Man cannot force man to love Cheap Michael Kors Handbags God or His ways. Definitely cool, said Toronto goaltender Frederik Andersen. One of the great things Coach Outlet Clearance Sale about playing in the hockey capital of the world probably, you get to see these things. You get a lot of legends of the game through these Coach Outlet Online doors here..

    ReplyDelete
  17. How I Got My Ex Husband Back..Am so excited to share my testimony of a real spell caster who brought my husband back to me. My husband and I have been married for about 6 years now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr  Aluya   can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and and told him my problems and he told me what to do and i did it and he did a spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr  Aluya Powerful Love Spell that really works. If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you. He will not disappoint you. Email him at:  aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com  or whatsapp him on:  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete